Menus of Change
In 2016 Columbia Diining was accepted into the Menus of Change University Research Collaborative. This initiative, jointly led by The Culinary Institute of America and Stanford University was developed to create a dynamic, invitational network of leading university-based scholars, foodservice business leaders, and executive chefs to collaborate on research and education in support of culinary-centric, evidence-based food systems innovation within and beyond universities.
As a member of Menus of Change, our mission is to advance healthier, more sustainable life-long food choices among Columbia students. This includes offering more plant-based foods in our Dining halls and educating students on the benefits of a plant-based diet. As much as possible, we also adhere to the following principles:
- Transparency about sourcing and preparation of foods
- Buying fresh, seasonal and local
- Focusing on whole, minimally processed foods
- Celebrating cultural diversity and discovery
- Offering meatless menu options
- Incorporating sustainble practices into our daily operations
In the Dining halls, look for a greater variety of fish, vegetarian hot dogs at the grill, and new hot entrees at the vegan station, in addition to our already extensive plant-based offerings.